Africa

Friday, February 8, 2008

Real Life Story #2

I've been lazy this last week or so... So, I'm forcing myself to write... Whether or not this is, or could be a good thing, who knows...

I worked out for the first time, in almost a year it seems, this last Monday... First of all, everyone knows how HUGE I am, so I'm sure everyone one in the gym was jealous of my muscles... No, really, I was so intimidated... Just Imagine yourself in my shoes (which is probably pretty easy, because I'm sure most of the people that even read this blog don't enjoy working out;)...) You walk in to a room swarming with adrenaline and hormones... There's a smell in the air, you can't quite make-out what it is, but it's recognizable from the last time you were in a place like this... Everyone seems like they are sizing everyone else up... Everyone is yelling, grunting, sweating, whistling, and every other sound you could possible think of that someone might use to lift something heavier than they should... Not the funnest reestablishment into the health and fitness world I could've imagined...

Though, I did find some friendly faces... Nate and Jimmy were in there, "Pumping Iron," as was the general terminology... So it brought me a little comfort...

So, I pushed myself to limits and beyond... I sweated and moaned and groaned with the rest of them... Breaking my body and its desires down... It was invigorating and surprisingly refreshing, to say the least... I ran back to my room, which was on the other side of campus, not realizing how much adrenaline I had left in me (so I ran a little harder, and a little faster than I should've)... When I got back to my room and sat down I almost passed out... This intense pain came over my whole body... I tried to take a shower to make myself feel better, but couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair... I tried to sit down, but my head would pound... And every time I would try to stand the room would spin... Lunch tried to push its way back out, but I had buffalo chicken wraps today and I wasn't about to let that come up, it would be a waste... Finally I decided to lay down... I lay in my bed wondering why I would do such a thing to my body...

In those moments of pain and agony I remembered why I don't workout...

After my intense afternoon was over, I looked back at it... I realized what an emotional and physical roller coaster it had been... The ups and downs of my ego... The ups and downs of the muscles... The (almost) ups and downs of lunch... And then I realized how accomplished I felt... And in that moment, I realized, now, that I like to work out...

Hopefully I'll will be able to stick to this thing called "exercise." It has helped me in the past... It helps me to be more diligent in school, my devotional time with God, and in life... I think that there is something spiritual about beating your body (flesh)... Paul said it right when he said "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

No comments: